Starfield Summit: Advancing Primary Care Research, Policy, and Patient Care
About the Summit
In an effort to honor and advance the legacy of Dr. Barbara Starfield, the Robert Graham Center for Policy Studies, together with partners Family Medicine for America’s Health, the Pisacano Foundation, and the American Board of Family Medicine Foundation, is pleased to host The Starfield Summit from April 23-26 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Washington, DC.
The Summit will provide a unique opportunity for conversation among a diverse group of leaders in primary care research and policy, young and old, intended to galvanize its participants, generate important discussion for public consumption, and enable research and policy agenda-setting in support of primary care function as an essential catalyst in health system reform. It will embrace the principles of Implementation Science, which seeks to promote the integration of research into policy and practice.
The summit will focus on information necessary for policymakers and where evidence is still needed in order to:
- Measure & Pay for the primary care function
- Train and Deploy Teams in Primary Care in order to advance Starfield’s work in support of the Triple Aim. Plans are already underway to extend these conversations to include other topics, stakeholders, and locations in the months and years ahead.
In addition to a diverse array of individual stakeholders, the Summit will involve participants representing a host of Primary Care organizations in additional to the sponsors already noted, including: the Society of General Internal Medicine, the North American Primary Care Research Group, the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, the American Academy of Family Physicians, and others.
- Yalda Jabbarpour, MD. Teams In Primary Care: An Annotated Bibliography(16 page PDF)
- Yalda Jabbarpour, MD. Measures in Primary Care: An Annotated Bibliography(11 page PDF)
- Susan Gold, MD and Brian J. Park, MD, MPH. Effective Payment for Primary Care: An Annotated Bibliography(32 page PDF)
Noemi Doohan, MD, PhD; Anastasia J. Coutinho, MD, MHS; Jennifer Lochner, MD; Diana Wohler, MD; and Jennifer DeVoe, MD, DPhil. “A Paradox Persists When the Paradigm Is Wrong”: Pisacano Scholars' Reflections from the Inaugural Starfield Summit(www.jabfm.org)
- Association of Departments of Family Medicine. Reflections on Primary Care Research. Post-Starfield Summit: Thinking Pragmatically, Thinking Big(www.annfammed.org)
Day 1 - April 24, 2016
- Kurt Stange: Payment, Measurement, and the Primary Care Paradox(www.youtube.com)
- Kavita Patel: What Does Effective Primary Care Payment Look Like?(www.youtube.com)
- Rushinka Fernandopulle: Disruptive Innovations in Primary Care Payment(www.youtube.com)
- Claire Pomeroy: Primary Care Payment, Social Determinants, & Community Risk(www.youtube.com)
- Amanda Howe: Preparing for a New Age of Measurement in Primary Care: Lessons from the UK QOF(www.youtube.com)
Day 2 - April 25, 2016
- Erin Sullivan: Beyond Bright Spots(www.youtube.com)
- Ali Khan: Innovations in Primary Care Teams(www.youtube.com)
- Art Kaufman: Broadening the Team: Linking Primary Care, Public Health, and the Community(www.youtube.com)
- Ben Miller: Integrated Primary Care and Mental Health(www.youtube.com)
- Marc Nivet: Training a Diverse Primary Care Team(www.youtube.com)
- Nwando Olayiwola: The Sweet Spot: Ice Cream Sundaes, The Ten Building Blocks, and Advanced Models of Primary Care(www.youtube.com)
- Scott Shipman: Advancing Teamwork Between the Medical Home and Medical Neighborhood(www.youtube.com)
- Andrew Morris-Singer: The Shifting Culture of Primary Teams(www.youtube.com)
- Chris Koller: Statewide Innovations in Primary Care Payment(www.youtube.com)